How to Support Your Family at Different Stages
People recovering from a brain injury go through stages. The levels of the Rancho Los Amigos Scale describe a person's recovery from a brain injury.
These levels are patterns that have been observed, however, it is important to note that each person will recover differently.
People with brain injury:
- may not pass through all levels
- may skip levels
- may never be at the lower levels or may never reach the upper levels
- do not usually move quickly and clearly from one level to another
How much and how fast the person recovers are affected by many things, including:
- type and severity of the injury and length of coma
- other injuries/complications
- age and general health.
Learn more about the Rancho Los Amigos Scale and suggestions for how families can support the person at each stage.