Assisted Living Services
VCBIS currently operates one residential home that is located in the Westboro area. The home provides staffing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Each participant is involved in developing their own rehabilitation goals with assistance from the Residential Counsellors. All programs and scheduled activities are created based on the participant's needs and interests. Individuals are encouraged to maintain an independent lifestyle. The role of the residential counsellors is to assist participants with a variety of tasks, including activities of daily living, socialization, participating in meaningful, productive activities and establishing frequent community involvement. An individual's rehabilitation is based on the mutual effort between the participant, family members, staff and partnerships in the community.
- Diagnosis of an Acquired Brain Injury; where an Acquired Brain Injury is defined as damage to the brain which occurs after birth and can result from either a traumatic brain injury (e.g. physical trauma due to accidents, motor vehicles, falls, assaults, neurosurgery etc.) or nontraumatic injury derived from either an internal or external source (e.g. stroke, brain tumours, infection, poisoning, hypoxia, ischemia, encephalopathy or substance abuse). However all definitions of Acquired Brain Injury exclude neurodegenerative disorders.
- Age 18 years and older, with special consideration being given to those individual 16 to 18 years of age.
- Medically stable with no ongoing nursing care.
- Completion of post injury rehabilitation.
- Individuals have the willingness to increase their independence and express interest in participating in a program to accomplish their goals.
- An individual assessment, INTER RAI Community Health Assessment, will be completed for all new program applicants.
- The administration of medication will be evaluated on an individual basis.
- Ability to transfer independently.
Cost of Services
Rehabilitation services are offered on a subsidized or fee-for-service basis. Participants with access to rehabilitation funding (third party payers) will be expected to defray the cost of their involvement in our programme, per the government's subrogation position, as required by law. Participant will pay for the cost of monthly rent, food and utilities.
Download ABI Application for Services